Gas safety - what you need to know
We will carry out a gas safety inspection in your home every 12 months. The annual safety inspection is very important and ensures the gas appliances in your home are safe. The inspection will also ensure that your boiler is working as efficiently as possible.
Our contractor Sun Realm will visit and carry out the gas safety inspection on our behalf.
What to do if you smell gas
- Open doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
- Turn off the gas at the mains tap, which is usually near the meter. Move the handle a quarter turn until it's at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.
- Leave the property.
- Phone the National Gas Emergencies number 0800 111 999. Only use a mobile phone from outside the property. The number is free and available 24 hours a day.
- Follow the advice given by the emergency adviser.
- Wait outside for a gas engineer to arrive.
- If you are feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately. Tell them you may have been exposed to a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Smoke, light a match or use any other naked flame.
- Turn any electrical switches on or off.
- Use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark.
If they find any leaks they will turn off your gas supply and ask you to contact Howard Cottage or your gas contractor.
Carbon monoxide can escape from appliances like boilers and fires if they are not working properly or if the chimney or flue is blocked. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. It's colourless, odourless and tasteless and it can be fatal.
The danger signs of carbon monoxide are:
- gas flames that normally burn blue, burning orange or yellow
- sooty stains on or above appliances
So to make sure everything is working safely it's essential that you have an annual service and gas safety check.
Please note, we are obliged by law to carry out an annual inspection and if for whatever reason you are unable to keep to an appointment with Sun Realm please call our Resident Services Team on 01462 683307 who will re arrange the inspection for you.
Sun Realm engineers always carry valid ID and will show this to you on their visit.