Types of tenancy agreements
Every tenant has a tenancy agreement or licence. This page explains the different types of tenancy that exist and some of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
It does not cover everything in your tenancy agreement or licence. All agreements are different and not all rights are available to all tenancies. You should check your own agreement for your particular details.
You will have one of the following agreements:
- A lifetime secure or assured tenancy (this is the most common and if you moved in prior to June 2013 you are likely to have one of these)
- A fixed term tenancy (introduced in June 2013 for new tenants of Howard Cottage)
- A starter/probationary tenancy, leading on to an assured or fixed term tenancy (introduced in June 2013 as tenants new to Howard Cottage may be subject to a probationary period of 12 months)
- An assured shorthold tenancy (if you are not eligible for one of the above tenancies)
- A licence agreement (if you live in an Almshouse).