Universal Credit

Universal Credit video button 1


Universal Credit is here, but you do not need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), unless you have a change in your circumstances.






UC video button 2


If you have concerns about Universal Credit and how you will manage, or if you want advice on how to keep your account up to date, please speak to your Income Officer at Howard Cottage





Frequently asked questions

What is Universal Credit and who is eligible?

Universal Credit (UC) is one benefit which has replaced the following six benefits:

• Income Support

• Housing Benefit

• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• Child Tax Credit

• Income-based Employment and Support Allowanc

• Working Tax Credit.

What rent amount do I have to pay?

You will need to pay the full monthly rent and service charge. This may be more than the housing element on your UC entitlement letter.

Do I need anything to make a claim for UC?

To create a UC account, you’ll need:

• An email address

• A mobile number

• A bank, building society or credit union account

We also recommend getting your personal details together before you start your UC claim. Handy things to have include:

• Photo ID

• Rent costs (tenancy agreement)

• Wages (payslips)

• Family (children and partner) details

More info

Do you need help and advice with universal Credit?Do you need help and advice about Universal Credit? 



Universal Credit is your account in arrears?

Is your rent account already in arrears?